Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Ava, the not quite equestrian...

At Meijer they have mechanical pony rides for $0.01. (can you believe that there isn't a 'cent' symbol on the keyboard!?!) Ava is always fascinated by these horses...from afar. She will talk about the horse, call it her horse and beg to get close to the horse. Once you are close to the horse, she will not touch it, really doesn't want you to touch it and definitely will not ride it!

Today we had a breakthrough. After a very frustrating grocery experience (because of Meijer...not my lovely children), we drew alongside the horse. I started to talk to the horse and pet him. I wooed this plastic horse with my sweetest tones and petting. Then, the amazing happened! Ava reached out and very gently stroked her horse's nose. She still wouldn't even consider riding the horse, but that is probably a good thing. I didn't even have a penny with me!

I am sure that there is something I have done to cause this child to have a fear of fake horses, but I do not know what it could be! Hopefully one of my friends with fearless children will take her to Meijer someday.

2 comments:

youseedrybones said...

To make a "cent" symbol, try this:
hold down the Alt key and over on the number keyboard put in 0162.

We could start an Ava penny fund for the time when she musters up the courage to ride the fake horse. Once she tries it once, you may never get her off of it...

Dr. McB said...

¢ Hey, it works!